Skip to main content

Santiago: Hi Jason, my car was hit by another driver who took off after the accident! I have injuries and a messed up car. Is it possible for me to file a lawsuit?

Jason:  Sorry to hear that, Santiago. This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on a number of factors. But with some more details, I can at least point you in the right direction.

Santiago: Thanks, Jason. What details do you want to know?

Jason: After the accident occurred, did you notify the police? And is so, do you know if they’ve found the person responsible?

Santiago: I think that someone who witnessed the accident called them because they were on the scene pretty fast. But I have not heard anything yet about them finding the driver.

Jason: Ideally, you want to find the other driver. You may have some alternative options depending on your insurance coverage, but locating the other driver and being able to prove they caused the accident is the best case scenario.

Santiago: How would I do that?

Jason: I would start by finding an injury lawyer. Your lawyer can take down information from you and work with the police to help find the driver. Experienced lawyers can also hire private investigators and other experts to help with the details of your case and find the person who hit you. One thing that I do for my hit and run clients is go to neighboring houses and businesses and request their doorbell or surveillance cameras.

Santiago: Oh that’s a good idea! Do they usually let you see it?

Jason: Yes. It’s been very effective. Gathering this information has helped us on 3 different occasions this last year. People are usually happy to share the surveillance with us because no one like hit and runs.

Santiago: That’s great! So what kinds of damages could I sue for if we find the driver?

Jason:  With the help of a lawyer and any experts, if you can prove the other driver acted recklessly or intentionally to cause harm, you can sue for things like repairing your vehicle, medical expenses, and lost wages as a result of the accident.

Santiago: That’s good news. But what happens if we don’t find the driver?

Jason: If you are unable to locate the driver, you may still be able to recover damages from your insurance company. This is also something that your lawyer could help you with.

Santiago:  Thank you, Jason. It sounds like my next step is to hire a lawyer. How much will that cost me?

Jason: There are injury attorneys who will work with you with no upfront charges. For example, my firm doesn’t collect a dime unless we win the case.

Santiago: Oh, that’s good to know. Thank you, Jason!

DeSouza Law firm is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.

If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call Jason DeSouza personally today at 210-591-9777 or 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu