Skip to main content

Elena: Hi Jason. I was hurt in car accident with my friend. She was driving and a lady hit us. We both had to go to the ER. Can I sue the lady even though I wasn’t driving?

Jason: Elena, thank you for your question. Yes, you can file a claim against the driver of the vehicle that hit you.

Elena: So, I could sue her for my medical bills?

Jason:  You can sue her for your medical bills. You could also have a case against the driver of the car you were riding in. My suggestion is that you work with an attorney to help determine who is liable for your injuries.

Elena:  But she is my friend. I don’t want to go after her. I don’t think the accident was her fault.

Jason:  I understand. And it may not have been her fault. But whoever you decide to sue based on the evidence of the case, remember that you would be pursuing compensation from the insurance company, not the individual driving the vehicle that caused the accident.

Elena: You make a good point. But I still hope that I can prove it is the fault of the other lady.

Jason: Have you met with a lawyer yet?

Elena: No. I wanted to ask you first before I made an appointment. I hear that lawyers are expesnive!

Jason:  Actually, Elena, you could schedule a free consultation with a lawyer. There are lawyers who take cases on contingency, meaning you pay nothing upfront. This would be a good option for you.

Elena: Really? It wouldn’t cost me anything?

Jason: Correct. I don’t charge my clients a dime unless we win their case.

Elena: Thank you Jason!

DeSouza Law firm is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.

If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call DeSouza injury Lawyers today at 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu