Skip to main content

Lupita: Hi Jason. We were hit by a drunk driver on the weekend before Halloween. Everyone is okay, but my husband had to go to the hospital and has some injuries. I know the driver is facing criminal charges for what he did, but can we sue him too?

Jason: Lupita, I’m very sorry to hear about your accident. To answer your question, yes, you can seek damages from the driver for your accident.

Lupita: Thank you, Jason. It’s crazy how many people go out and party around the holidays. I can’t believe they kept serving this guy drinks.

Jason: Unfortunately, the roads can be dangerous this time of year. There are statistics showing that in past years, crashes were up by nearly 15% and fatalities up by almost 20% in Texas. For Thanksgiving and Christmas those numbers get even higher.

Lupita: Well that is very sad. I wish I could sue the bar too.

Jason: Lupita, if he was in a bar when he became intoxicated, you could possibly seek damages from this third party as well under the Texas Dram Shop law.

Lupita: There is a law that says you can sue a bar if someone drives drunk after going there?

Jason: Yes. It may be clear that the drunk driver caused the accident, but alcohol providers can also be held responsible for damages if it was evident enough that the customer was a danger to himself or others or his intoxication was a direct cause of the damages suffered.

Lupita: Thank you, Jason. So what exactly could I sue for?

Jason: I would have to know more details about your case to make recommendations, but I can tell you that some of the most common damages that people seek in these types of cases are for medical costs, current and future lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.

Lupita: So I guess my next step would be to contact a lawyer, right? Do you know about how much that would cost?

Jason: Yes, I highly recommend that you contact a lawyer soon. As for cost, you can find personal injury lawyers who will take your case without any upfront costs for you.

Lupita: So no consultation fees or anything?

Jason: Correct. I personally don’t charge my clients a dime unless we win their case.

Lupita: Thank you, Jason!

DeSouza Law firm is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.

If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call Jason DeSouza personally today at 210-591-9777 or 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu