Skip to main content

Juanita: Hi Jason, I was at a store the other day with my mom. She slipped and fell and now she is in the hospital with a broken hip. Can we sue the store for her injury?

Jason:  I’m very sorry about your mother’s injury, Juanita.  It is possible that you could have a case against the store, but it would depend on the circumstances.

Juanita: What kind of circumstances?

Jason: Businesses are required by law to do their part to keep the premises safe for their customers. This includes protecting customers like you and your mom from dangerous conditions that they know about or should know about. It’s called “duty of care”.

Juanita: We are pretty sure that the floor was wet because my mom’s clothes got wet when she fell.

Jason: Did you see any warning sign for the wet floor?

Juanita: No. I looked around after she fell and didn’t see anything.

Jason: Businesses should inspect their property regularly and fix dangerous conditions or warn customers about them. In the case of your mom, if the business did not clean up the spill in a timely manner or set out a “Caution: Wet Floor” sign, then your mom may be entitled to compensation based on the business failing to provide duty of care.

Juanita: But what if the business denies it or says they didn’t know the floor was wet?

Jason: That’s very possible, Juanita. My suggestion is that you meet with a lawyer about it. Injury lawyers are familiar with these kinds of situations and the tactics the other side might use to get out of paying your mom.

Juanita: Lawyers are so expensive, though. My mom has medical insurance, but we don’t know how much it will cover. Besides that, she was watching my son while I worked. Now I’m going to have to pay a babysitter, so I couldn’t afford to help her pay for a lawyer.

Jason: You don’t have to pay an injury attorney to represent you. There are attorneys that won’t charge you anything upfront. I don’t charge my clients anything unless we win their case.

Juanita: I didn’t realize that. Thank you, Jason!

DeSouza Law firm is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.


If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call DeSouza injury Lawyers today at 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu