Skip to main content

Maria: Hi Jason, I recently saw on the news where a young man in Houston was killed in a car accident after a Taylor Swift concert. It was a tragic story and it got me wondering, could the parents file a wrongful death lawsuit even though their son was already 20 years old?

Jason: Thanks for this question, Maria. If the accident was the fault of someone else, yes, the “heirs of the body” could file a lawsuit. This basically means first a spouse, then child, and then parents could recover damages.

Maria: I’m glad to hear that. I don’t think he was married or had any children – he was in college. But his sister was with him in the vehicle. She is okay, but I can’t even imagine what that family is going through.

Jason: I imagine this is very difficult for that family. Wrongful death lawsuits are intended to provide some relief to families who have had their lives changed by a tragedy such as this.

Maria: But the sister couldn’t file a lawsuit, right?

Jason: She could not file a wrongful death lawsuit in this situation. Siblings are not considered heirs of the body.

Maria: Thanks for explaining that. I don’t think there is any amount of money that would make losing a loved one any easier anyways.

Jason: I agree, Maria. But the money can help with covering medical expenses, if there were any related to the accident. It can also cover the unexpected funeral expenses as well as pain and suffering and mental anguish.

Maria: Okay that makes sense. If I lost a family member like this, I think that the money would help me get through it, but I would probably feel guilty taking it.

Jason: It’s common to feel guilt and other emotions after the loss of a loved one. But if you passed away suddenly and unexpectantly, would you want your family’s needs to be taken care of while they were grieving.

Maria: Yes I would. Thank you, Jason. You make a good point.

DeSouza Injury Lawyers is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.

If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call Jason DeSouza personally today at 210-591-9777 or 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu