Skip to main content

Julio: Hi Jason, I was hurt in a car accident. Doctor said I have spinal cord injuries. But I can still walk and get around. Would I even have a case if I sued?

Jason: Thanks for your question, Julio. And yes, if you have a spinal cord injury, even if you think it is a minor injury, you could still have a case.

Julio: Really? But I thought that was mainly if the accident really messed up your life.

Jason:  My hope for you is that nothing further happens, but sometimes health complications connected to your accident can show up later. And they can have an impact on your quality of life.

Julio: What do you mean, Jason?

Jason:  You could experience persistent pain from your injury, have blood circulation issues, respiratory problems, or even bladder control issues.

Julio: Oh, I didn’t realize that.

Jason: Yes, and depression is also a concern for injuries such as this.

Julio:  So what should I do then?

Jason:  My recommendation is that you work with a personal injury attorney on this. I would find one soon, before you speak with insurance.

Julio: The insurance guy left me a message yesterday, but I haven’t called him back yet.

Jason: Talk to a lawyer first. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to pay victims of accidents as little as possible. In a situation like yours, where health complications may surface later, you want to protect yourself from being taken advantage of.

Julio: How would insurance take advantage of me?

Jason:  They have all kinds of tactics. If they know you were injured, they will do everything in their power to make sure that they don’t have to pay you for any future health issues connected to this accident. So they might try to trick you into consenting to show them all your medical history. Or get you to say something on record that could harm your case.

Julio: Oh that’s awful. Thank you, Jason. I’m not going to call the insurance guy back. I’ll get an attorney first.

Jason: You’re welcome, Julio.

DeSouza Law firm is a leading personal injury firm representing accident victims throughout Texas.


If you’ve been injured by a car, truck, 18-wheeler, company vehicle, or in the oilfield, call DeSouza injury Lawyers today at 361-799-2222 or visit the firm online at

Close Menu